“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” In the midst of the current tragedy, I want to recognize the beautiful, courageous, and marvelous Afghan people who have been forcibly displaced from their homes. Although many of their stories have yet to be told, their unwavering spirit, strength, and bravery is #notforgotten. Church, let us take time today to pray for them, and then let us take a lifetime to serve and embrace them with love of Christ.
Through our cooperative program giving (SBC), we (Kentucky Baptist) are able to have authentic impact by bringing help and hope to Afghan refugees as they resettle in communities around the world. Here is how you and your church can get involved today through SEND Relief, which is the global compassion wing of the Southern Baptist Convention. We are Stronger Together! *(Info below comes from SEND Relief):
The Taliban seized power in Afghanistan, storming across the nation and capturing all major cities within a matter of days.
In the aftermath of the political coup, a mass exodus is building as Afghans try to flee the country by the thousands. One group of Afghan refugees seeking escape are Christians fleeing immanent persecution, as well as other religious minorities, ethnic minorities and women and girls.
Send Relief is strategically working with World Relief and our trusted global ministry partners to minister to Afghan refugee families around the world. As refugees flee persecution and resettle in communities around the globe, Send Relief can connect you and your church with opportunities to give, pray and volunteer to support our response.
Your gifts to the Afghanistan Refugee Crisis Fund will provide welcome kits, ESL classes, job interview prep and more. Give today to bring help and healing to Afghan refugees.
How You and Your Church Can Serve
- There is extraordinary power in prayer. Please join us in praying over the Afghanistan Refugee Crisis using the prayer points listed below.
- Support our domestic and global response by giving to our Afghanistan Refugee Crisis Fund: https://bit.ly/SR_AfghanistanCrisis
- If your church is interested in volunteering, sign up for the September 10, 2021 SEND Relief Online Workshop: https://web.cvent.com/event/565868df-09ec-4766-b6bb-4ee27698cd44/summary
- Download our Church’s Guide to Ministering to Refugees for ways to serve in your own community.
Ways to Pray for Afghanistan
- Pray for the Afghan people as they navigate political unrest, violence and persecution. Pray that they may find peace in Christ among overwhelming circumstances.
- Pray that God would intervene and glorify His name in this tragic situation.
- Pray for Afghan believers whose lives are being threatened by the new regime. Ask God to give them courage and strength.
- Pray for Afghans at risk because of their service alongside the U.S. government and that they would be quickly and safely evacuated.
- Pray that the millions of Afghans who have never heard the Gospel will have an opportunity to hear.
- Pray for neighboring countries, as well as countries around the globe, as they attempt to host the surge of refugees coming out of Afghanistan.
- Pray for Afghans who are desperately trying to leave Afghanistan.
- Pray that those helping will be able to overcome obstacles as they facilitate the exits and relocations of Afghans.
- Pray that the physical needs of those waiting at entrances and at the airport will be met, including protection, water and more.
- Pray for favor and that pathways become available to safety and relocation.
- Pray for countries to open their borders and for people to open their hearts to those being displaced from their homes.
- Pray for those who will not be relocated.
Partner as a Church
In Kentucky, contact John Barnett, KBC missions strategist ([email protected]), to discover new opportunities and strategic pathways to help equip your church to love and serve refugees both locally and globally.