Spring officially arrived this past week, the dogwoods and redbuds are in full bloom, and everything is pointing to new life. What an exciting time of year. We are in the middle of Holy Week and, as we reflect on what Christ did for us on the cross, we look forward to Resurrection Sunday and the thoughts of serving a Risen Savior and the new life we have in Christ.
Each year at this time we are preparing for the annual missionary orientation and commissioning of the new missionaries that are serving in Kentucky. The orientation is a time for the missionaries to learn about the Kentucky Baptist Convention, the Cooperative Program, and resources available to them. This time of networking with each other is most valuable.
Eight men and women have sensed God’s call to serve in ministries across our state and will be commissioned at the Kentucky Woman’s Missionary Union Annual Meeting on Saturday morning, April 9th, at Madisonville First Baptist Church.
The new missionaries are:
- Jeff Burke (from Henderson), serving as Director of the Kathy J. Strange Answer Center, an outreach ministry of the Green Valley Baptist Association in Henderson.
- Nelle Thomas (from Elizabethtown), serving as Director of Mission Hope for Kids, an outreach to students in Elizabethtown.
- Kimberly Robinson (from Louisville), directing the Hands of Hope for Women Ministry through the Bashford Manor Baptist Church in Louisville.
- Amy Wells (originally from upstate New York), ministering to vulnerable children and families of Appalachia through New Heights Church in Pineville.
- Josh & Tasha McWherter (from Murray), serving with God’s Appalachian Partnership in McDowell to reach children and families in the Floyd County area of eastern Kentucky.
- Allison Norris (from Somerset), serving in a ministry to young women in the Richmond, KY area.
- Holly Decker (from Barbourville), serving with Cedaridge Ministries in Williamsburg to reach families of need in Southeast Kentucky.
We want to extend a special invitation for you to join us in this special commissioning service and to pledge your support to these new missionaries.
The 2016 Kentucky Missionary of the Year will also be recognized at this service.
For more information on the Kentucky WMU Missions Celebration go to http://kywmu.org/annualmeeting.
Hope to see you there.