I have learned that there are some problems in the world that are bigger than us, and some tasks that are beyond our human ability of achieving. There are some things in this world that only God can do.
One of those God-sized tasks is the Great Commission. Taking the Gospel to every people, tongue, and land is beyond any of our abilities, but with the Lord, all things are possible. God has promised a coming time when he will gather people from every tribe, language, and corner of the globe around His throne of grace.
Our calling as the church is to “Go” and make disciples of all nations. As we go, we need to remember that this is only possible by the power of God’s hand. This is why prayer is vital.
Jesus commanded us, “But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you” (Matthew 6:6).
Power to change the world will come through prayer. Power to reach the world will be released through prayer. The Great Commission will be achieved through the prayers of God’s people.
How can you be a vital part of reaching our world for Christ?
- Establish a daily time of prayer, and be serious about it.
- Adopt a method of praying. Change your routine from time to time. Develop a prayer journal. Try prayer walking. Pray through scripture passages (the Psalms are one of the best tools for this method). Meditate on Scripture. Make a prayer list and faithfully pray for each of the requests. Make sure that praise, thanks, and confession are part of your prayer time.
- Pray for a specific people group and for missionaries by name.
- Pray for the Lottie Moon International Mission Offering, the Annie Armstrong Mission Offering for North America, and the Eliza Broadus Offering for Kentucky State Missions. Pray for the Cooperative Program as it remains the lifeblood of Southern Baptist mission work across the globe.
- Pray for God’s calling on your own life. How does God want to use you to fulfill His Great Commission?
- Pray fervently and with passion. You are going before the throne of God, and spending time with the one who sits high and lifted up.
- Seek to be known as a person of prayer. What better way to be known by God and by others?
“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” (Colossians 4:2)