The holidays are upon us. Tomorrow is November 1st. Thanksgiving, then Christmas, will be here very soon. For Kentucky Baptists, November is the month of our KBC Annual Meeting. For the Missions Mobilization Team, it is the month for Christmas Backpacks. Deliveries will be made to churches and ministries, with ministries preparing to distribute to the children between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Girls and boys across the state and in our SEND CINCINNATI partnership will be blessed as backpacks YOU packed will be distributed to children in need.
Backpack applications were sent out in March, and we had requests for 12,683. The Kentucky Baptist Convention goal for 2023 was to fill 10,000 backpacks, knowing that we would also receive backpacks from our partnering state conventions.
Every year I get a little nervous and pray that we will receive enough backpacks to meet all of these needs. Yet, over and over again, God provides. Will I ever learn? I often say, “Oh me, of little faith.”
Phone calls and emails have come in all day about backpacks. You can hear the excitement as regional collection site directors call to report the numbers that have come in. However, there is lots of hard work ahead. Please pray with us:
- That enough backpacks are received to meet the requests.
- For associational & regional collection sites to have the volunteers needed to sort the backpacks.
- For individuals to pick up and deliver the backpacks to the needed distribution sites.
- For church and ministry Backpack Events.
- For those sharing the Gospel message.
- For children and families to not only receive a Christmas Backpack, but come to know Christ as their personal Savior and receive the Greatest Gift this Christmas season.
Thank you to all who had a hand in purchasing, filling, sorting, delivering, distributing, or whatever part you had in the KBC Christmas Backpack Initiative. You are a blessing to many families during this season…and even for eternity. It’s a blessing to work together as Kentucky Baptists for such a great cause!!
May each of you have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!!